[mythtv-users] Asking before upgrading the schema

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Jul 4 13:54:36 UTC 2006

    > Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:40:55 -0400
    > From: George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com>

    > On 4-Jul-06, at 9:22 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

    > > Is there some reason why Myth doesn't -ASK- first?  If someone
    > > submitted a patch to make it ask, would it be accepted?
    > >
    > > People who want to be continually upgrading can set a DB flag to "go
    > > ahead without even notifying me", but those who don't -think- they're
    > > in the middle of an upgrade presumably would have left this at the
    > > default and will have a chance of stopping a disastrous one-way trip
    > > when they're asked, out of the blue, "Hey, are you -sure- you want to
    > > upgrade your DB schema?"

    > Another approach might be to only allow backends to upgrade the
    > database or, even better, a master BE.

    > I haven't been hit by this little bugaboo but I could see how it
    > would be really annoying.

Especially since, if the user was formerly running a released version,
tripping over this suddenly -forces- them to read hundreds of messages
every single day on the dev & commits list until the next major
release happens, lest they get yelled at for -not- doing so while
running an SVN release.  That's a pretty big timesink and a pretty
large punishment for a single mistake.