[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Recommendations - Stability is the Key

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 05:42:51 UTC 2006

Hi

On 7/1/06, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:

> I need to restart my backend every few days. I wonder what is the
> difference between those who find Myth to be stable and those who find

While the PC itself is stable, I will have to restart mythbackend from
time to time, and mythfrontend even more so.

Yesterday, just switching between channels made the frontend crash.
It's not too much of a problem as mythfrontend restarts automatically,
but it still shouldn't happen.
I'm running the mythtv package from ATrpms which was compiled from the
0.19.1 branch a few days ago.

When I restart the PC , I will usually have to reboot a few times as
the S/PDIF output stopped working for some unknown reason, or one of
my DVB-T USB adapter failed to work or be recognized.
When I'm in the house, it's usually not a problem, it doesn't take me
much time to get it working again... But the wife isn't able to do so
should anything happen when I'm not here

Back earlier this year, I invested in a very good PC, with DVD player
etc... so I could have a "one-do-all" machine: to watch dvix, DVD,
play music, watch TV etc...
Last month I re-installed a DVD player (pioneer) as they just work,
all the time everytime. I also keep a DVB digital receiver handy, so
should mythtv crash, my wife only had to touch one button on the sound
processor to have the TV going.

JY