[mythtv-users] Using Cable-tv certain channels fuzzy

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 4 00:29:34 UTC 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Daniel Leaberry wrote:

> This is a mystery to me so I figured I'd let others offer help.
>
> I receive basic cable (about 20 channels) at my house and use a
> pvr-500 to record with a dedicated backend in the garage. 1 week
> ago channels 7-13 began to show moderate amounts of noise. I
> changed nothing. Today I had the technician come out and check my
> line. The signals are fine, the filters are fine everything seems
> fine on their end. The setup has been running flawlessly for over 2
> months.
>
> Things I've tried:
>
> 1) replacing the cable between the pvr-500 and the splitter (one
> end goes to the cable modem)
> 2) fine tuning the frequencies using ivtv
> 3) rebooting
>
> Things I suspect might have something to do with it:
>
> 1) The backend runs in the garage which is un-airconditioned and
> typically between 80-95 degrees. Maybe the heat affects only
> certain channels? I would think it would add noise to all the
> channels.
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> *Dedicated backend running dual p3's and pvr-500. lspci -v of the
> tuner is as follows
>
> 02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
> iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 500 (2nd
> unit)
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 7
>         Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> I'm using ivtv 0.4.5 on kernel 2.6.15 (gentoo).
>
> Just fishing for possible issues. I would love to hookup a tv and
> see if it's just the card but I don't own one (The frontend
> connects to a 21" monitor). I'll have to ask the neighbor and see
> if I can borrow one.

Interesting that you mention channels 7 - 13, as that is what's known
as the "high band" VHF channels. You could not have picked those
numbers at random unless you knew about frequency allocation, or you
have a problem directly related to frequency.

In fact, if you have only 20 or 22 channels, and are putting them on
a wire in frequency order, 7 - 13 would be the highest in frequency
of all.

I know that sounds strange, but the actual order would be :

2 - 6 (low band)
14 - 22 (mid-band)
7 - 13 (high-band)

Coaxial cable attenuates RF energy at a rate proportional to
frequency. In fact, a piece of cable that has 10db. of loss at
channel 2 (54 Mhz.) will have 20db. of loss at channel 13 (220 Mhz.).

Cable loss also increases with the temperature of the cable, and
proportionally with frequency, so as a cable heats up channels 7 - 13
will be affected the most. Chennel 13 will be affected twice as much
as channel 2.

So if you were experiencing problems due to either your garage or
your cable system in general heating up, it would be expected that
channels 7 - 13 would be affected most noticeably.

Taking the noise floor as a constant (which it is not, but let's make
things easy) a reduction in signal level would result in a
degradation of the signal-to-noise ratio, and a noisy picture under
low or marginal signal conditions.

Thus it would not "add noise to all the channels" equally, but to 7 -
13 more so than the others, exactly what you are seeing.

Cable techs are famous for saying "everything's fine at their end",
when it is not. If you are splitting the signal several times you
could well be down enough that the increased loss due to high
temperature would be visible.