[mythtv-users] PostgreSQL

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jul 3 14:22:54 UTC 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

>> I'm starting to wonder if this topic was pointless, I got bounces e-
>> mail
>> from the developer of the patch for postgresql and the mythtv dev
>> team
>> has no interest in supporting it :( it would be real nice if I didn't
>> even have to run a DB for my PVR at all.
>
> I think the use of a DB is to a large extent what gives Myth its
> power, it was a design decision at the very beginning that has stood
> the project in good stead.

I think what the original poster was suggesting is that he wishes he
didn't have to maintain a DB along with his PVR setup. I agree it
would be nice to have an embedded DB like SQLite that it still
powerful but doesn't really require maintenance. Backing up and
restoring is a breeze, too. However, you sacrifice some speed (in
complex queries and large databases) when you go this route.