[mythtv-users] Myth tv unable to play Live TV

Aaron Harwood aharwood at aerosoul.com.au
Mon Jul 3 10:28:54 UTC 2006

On 03/07/2006, at 7:43 PM, Vamshi Reddy wrote:

> I am currently trying to setup up MythTV in India.
>
> Do i need the grabber to start watching Live TV?

The grabber provides information about what is being broadcast. It is
not needed
to actually receive the broadcast and watch it.

> I tried doing whatever made sense when i do the mythtv-setup,
> it scans for channels and I was able to connect the source to the
> input etc.

Does it actually lock on to channels and add them?

Scanning over the outputs you posted, it looks like you've populated the
database with incorrect channel information, i.e. from the United
Kingdom, and
I'm assuming that you have no tuning information for those channels.

> But when I run mythfilldatabase, I get the attached error,
> as well as I ran myth backend , there is an error message there as
> well.
>
> I think the Issue is with Video Source Setup:
> Since I am using XMLTV Grabber as : United Kingdom(alternative)
>
> Any thoughts, as to what I am doing wrong.

Well, I managed to get things working without using the grabber.
The mythtv-setup should lock on to channels when scanning, and this
should
be enough to watch them. If it does not, you may need to try manually
tuning
into channels, by finding frequency information and so forth for your
local
transmitter station.

In any case, you should run mythbackend and while that is running you
should
run the mythfrontend which then connects to the backend.

--aaron