[mythtv-users] PostgreSQL

Danny Brow dan at fullmotions.com
Mon Jul 3 08:26:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 21:12 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2006, at 8:49 PM, Danny Brow wrote:
>
> > I was looking for an alternative to mysql for a reason, I've yet to
> > have
> > mysql last for longer then a few weeks on any applications that
> > uses it.
> > I've used a few different applications that use mysql db, they all
> > have
> > the same issue, power outage is the worst thing that can happen to
> > mysql
> > and when it does it takes time that I don't have to fix it. Unlike
> > mysql
> > PostgreSQL is rock solid, I've had a lot power outages, system
> > shutdowns, user error, anything that can take down a server and
> > PostgreSQL comes right back up, with no problems. Out of around 200
> > DB's
> > running PostgreSQL over the last few years I've only had to restore
> > twice from back up, once for corruption and the other time from hard
> > drive failure (system upgrades not included). This is why I want to
> > use
> > PostgreSQL. MySQL is only good when a system will never turn off or
> > the
> > db is never shutdown. I'm investing into a UPS for my MythTV box for
> > just that reason, just hope we don't get a long power outage around
> > here.
> >
> > Dan.
>
> If you set up your UPS properly you do not have to worry about a
> "long" outage.
>
> The UPS should send a message to the system when it gets to a
> specified amount of time left on the batteries which initiates a
> controlled shutdown of the system, including the database.
>
> Just be sure that if you use your network to send such a message the
> routers, switches, hubs etc. that are needed to make the network
> operate are connected to the UPS. Generally a USB connection from the
> UPS to the system is best.

Serial is just as or more reliable.

> I know this is more or less obvious, but I wondered about your
> concern for the length of the outage...

It's a pvr I don't want to spend $150 on a UPS for it, I'm guessing the
$60 one I'm going to buy will last about 5-7 minutes, good enough for
power flickers, but most outages are 5-10 minutes plus around here. But
the reality is that I should not have to worry my pvr powers down.

I'm starting to wonder if this topic was pointless, I got bounces e-mail
from the developer of the patch for postgresql and the mythtv dev team
has no interest in supporting it :( it would be real nice if I didn't
even have to run a DB for my PVR at all.

Dan.

believed to be clean.