[mythtv-users] Connecting to external cable box

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Sat Jul 1 13:59:28 UTC 2006

> Wow, I can't seem to find any info on serial control. It appears that the IR
> blasters are the more popular choice even though it seems easier to just
> connect the cable to the computer using a cheaper serial wire.

Best bet? Find the model of your tuner box and do a Google search for
that model number and "Serial", or "mythtv".

Be aware also that some companies also disable the serial interface on
the box if you got it from your cable provider. You'll have to ask them
to enable that, tell them you got a Tivo and want to use the serial
interconnect... that usually does the trick.

My setup's actually satellite, not cable but the concept's the same.

Here's a couple of links I dug up with a quick and dirty Google search;

http://www.pdp8.net/directv/directv.shtml
http://biobug.org/mythtv/directv.php