[mythtv-users] Mythtv rebooting system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 29 03:14:53 UTC 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 8:09 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:

> On the topic of thermal goo, how do I figure out if  my P4 is
> running at full speed?  I've read that the P4 will automatically
> slow itself if it gets too hot.  Well, how am I to know if this is
> happening?
>
> To avoid being laughed off the list, I won't mention what I am
> currently using in lieu of thermal goo, but rest assured that it
> would get me laughed off the list.

If you are using *anything* except proper thermal-transfer grease I
would suggest shutting down the machine RIGHT NOW to avoid possible
damage.

Do not fool around with anything but the proper material, the $1 or
so you might save is not worth it.

Also, be sure you clean off every possible trace of the "laugh-
inducing" material, and be sure you apply the correct material
properly (the most common mistake is to use too much).

Like anything else thermal grease comes in different grades, the
silver-bearing type is the best.

DO NOT EVER use substitutes unless you want an expensive key fob.