[mythtv-users] Can't get glx to load

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 27 18:53:15 UTC 2006

On 01/27/2006 01:25 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> Today I switched from an nvidia card to onboard sis, and in the
> Xorg.0.log it's still trying to load nvidia's glx extension and
> failing to initialize because I'm now loading the sis driver.
>
> Myth playback is therefore falling back on the rtc and, as I
> understand it, using more cpu than it needs to.

Actually, RTC timing is not CPU-intensive.  If Myth were to fall back
from RTC to software timing, that would be more CPU-intensive.
(Software timing can provide as precise a timing mechanism as RTC, but
is more CPU-intensive than using the _hardware_ RTC.)  I don't even know
if Myth provides a software-timing mechanism as a fallback for RTC, though.
> How can I get glx to load properly?

NVIDIA's installer doesn't necessarily remove everything properly.
Check out
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/appendix-c.html
to see what's left on your system.  Make sure you clean off all the
OpenGL libs and links that were installed by NVIDIA (not the MESA ones)
and re-run ldconfig.

Mike