[mythtv-users] No /dev/dvb with AVErMedia DVB-T 771's with Ubuntu 5.10

Michael Fox fox.michael at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:52:10 UTC 2006

On 1/27/06, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyways, from what I can see, the cards are recognised as the output
> from dmesg is as follows:
> Does anybody have any ideas about what I am doing wrong.  And please
> don't say anything about rebuilding the kernel else I might wee my
> pants :(

I think your missing the loading of an extra module, dont ask me which
one you need as I dont have the card in question.

Give me the output from the following 2 commands and I can see what we
might be able to suggest as help.

cat /etc/modules
lsmod

Then I will take it from that. And no you dont need to rebuild the
kernel. The ubundu shipped kernels have everything you would ever need
(some stuff in kernel and anything extra compiled as modules. All you
need to do is load the extra modules for the hardware you have.
Unfortunately it doesn't always auto detect these perfect).

For my tuner card I had to add 2 lines to my /etc/modules file (and
those lines were)

dvb-bt8xx
dst

Then my tuner worked, but I am not sure if these are required for your
tuner. From a quick google one might need dvb-bt8xx, so I'd suggest
adding that line only to /etc/modules then reboot. Does the /dev/dvb
devices get auto created, if not then it might not be what you need.
I'd then add the dst module as I did and reboot again, checking if the
devices were created. If still no go, then I suggest you remove both
those lines from /etc/modules and do google search to determine what
modules are needed for the tuner.

Let us know how you go ;)