[mythtv-users] Potential IPTV additions for Myth

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:30:20 UTC 2006

IPTV uses SAP+SDP for stream announcement and RTP+RTCP/RSTP (It seems
that RTSP is used for VOD/PPV, and RTP is used for regular channels)
for the actual video streams. All over multicast (Which is supported
in all linux kernels from 2.2+).

SAP/SDP description details: http://www.faqs.org/rfc/rfc2327.html

SAP default announcement address: UDP:224.2.127.254:9875

RTP defined in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1889.html

RSTP defined in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2326.html

VLC can be used as an example SAP/SDP provider, and to provide RTP or
RTSP (In version 0.8.3+) streams (Use the wizard, or the "Open"
dialog, and choose to "Stream" output, and VLC will announce the
SAP/SDP and stream to a multicast port of your choosing). This means
you don't actually *need* an IPTV provider, as you can be one yourself
on your local network.

I *think* that the existing code for DBox2 can be copied and re-purposed.

The only thing that would be missing is the code to grab the "Program
guide" (Which, I presume, is mentioned as a HTTP url in the SDP
description, and is in a reasonably standard format, as it's made so
differing set-top boxen can all auto-configure to pick up the correct
lineup and information)

I believe, with this integrated into Myth as another tuner(s) (And if
we can find the Program Guide data, the equivalent of a EIT program
guide provider) we can make Myth a formidable open-source IPTV STB,
and as that is where TV is moving, it would be an early foot in the
door.

While I realise we have a feature freeze for 0.19, how would people
(users and developers) feel about trying to get this into 0.20?
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston