[mythtv-users] Help Developing MythWeb

Michael Freeman mlfreeman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:04:20 UTC 2006

actually, in the case of xfree86, that wasn't the bsd license.  that was the
MIT X license.
the bsd license dropped its advertising clause a loooong time ago...but to
be safe you'd have to check the exact text they use for that project.
the most modern version of the bsd license is compatible with the GPL.

here's a suggestion for mythweb:
frontend profile management.
i think it would be a lot nicer if the frontends had remote settings
manipulation...you set up...say...2 profiles of frontend settings for 4
frontends...you do that on mythweb.
then on the frontends, all you need is a remote that you can hit 1 or 2
on...so the frontend knows to request config profile 1 or 2.
why would this be useful?
for one, if you have multiple frontends on the same type of hardware (e.g.
you bought three PCs / Mac Minis / etc at the same time for frontend work),
it would be the only way to clone the settings to all of them as far as i
know.
for another, it would allow you to set up the frontend settings before you
set up the frontend...meaning you might never even *need* to buy a keyboard
for a frontend, let alone bring one into your living room.

(hell...i think mythtv-setup shouldn't exist as an app...make it a
webpage...move some of the options into a config webserver hard-linked into
the backend...move others into a backend profile set up via mythweb, like
the frontend profile idea)