[mythtv-users] whats the best graphics card for HD playback?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:13:29 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Myth...  ;)
> >>
> >> Also, you won't get better MPEG-2 performance (including display of
> >> software-decoded MPEG-2 /and/ hardware-assisted MPEG-2 decoding with
> >> XvMC) from a "faster" or newer card.  And, on the bright side, the 5200
> >> is dirt-cheap compared to the newer-generations of cards, so save your
> >> money and go for a 5200.
> >>

> > I had a 6600 because I'm trying to drive an HDTV at  1080i, and it
> > came with component out.
> >
> > I had intermittent success.  myth and the nvidia drivers are like the
> > Bickersons. They only get along enough to stay together. And new
> > nvidia drivers seem to cause more problems than they solve.
> >
> > So now that I'm looking for a new mb for a myth frontend, I'm looking
> > for a non-nvidia card that
> >
> > plays well with myth ( which means that open source is *really* important );
> > does hw MPEG-2 decoding;
> > and has component out at 1080i.
> >
> > I'd also like MPEG-4 decoding and 1080p - if possible.
> >
> > AND, I'd like it to have drivers that are in Xorg-7.0.0.
> >
> > So, if I'm off nvidia I certainly don't want ATI since they have
> > proprietary drivers and even more problem reports than nvidia. I have
> > an old 8500dv, which I really like and is fully supported by xorg, but
> > doesn't do hw decoding or 1080i tv out.
> >
> > First up was intel 945g integrated video. Supports hdtv, 1080p and
> > mpeg-2 hw decoding. No mention if it supports mpeg-4 decoding, so I
> > assume it doesn't.  Also supports hdtv component out through a "Media
> > Expansion Card".  Sounds good, but it turns out there are NO Media
> > Expansion Cards" available. AverMedia announced one for 3q2005 ( even
> > won an Intel rpize for it!), but it's not been released ( or died
> > somewhere ) and the MSRP is $199!!!
> >
> > Next I looked at via unchrome pro: mpeg-2, mpeg-4, 1080p ( so I assume
> > it's 16:9). Drivers in xorg-7.0. But.. didn't find any with component
> > out, the unichrome drivers have split ( unichrome.sf and openchrome),
> > and the mpeg-4 is only for boards with the via c7. Finally it appears
> > via really isn't supporting ( assisting) the xorg drivers which don't
> > support mpeg-4.
> >
> > Sorta stuck. I guess I'm going to do the intel 945g with a
> > vga->component breakout box.
> > I do realize this is only a intel solution.
> >
> > Should be a better choice somewhere.
> >
> > sean
> >

> Sean,
> I think going with vga to component adaptor is certainly the way to go
> over a $199 solution that won't work with future cards.  Really, the
> output format isn't an issue, the driver support is; both vga and
> component out are analog forms of output anyway, the converter box
> should not degrade the signal at all in my understanding.  A lot of TVs
> with vga input even have converters that work in the opposite direction
> - take component and convert is to a vga connector to connect to the
> TV.  My TV works like that, but of course I'm just using the vga

Yes. the Audio Authority vga -> component adapter does seem the way to
go. Did you see the post about an aopen board that had component out?
Odd, puzzling and disappointing there's no such board for the i945.

> The truth is graphics drivers aren't there yet, for any card, for the
> kind of tasks we might want to do with mythtv, when it comes to HD.
> Raphael

Oh, don't tell me that! No drivers are up to HD?  Has there been no
success with i945?? openchrome? IOW, are there any open source HD
drivers?

sean