[mythtv-users] Performance from a different perspective

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 23 08:52:58 UTC 2006

Trey Boudreau wrote:

>A useful rule of thumb says that you can buy the same compute hardware
>cheaper next week (or next month).  If you wait 18 months (a la Mr.
>Moore), you'll only end up half broke ;-)

I thought Moore's "law" recently died, thus the X2 and "Core (TM)
Duo's"* and soon quad-cores and ....

Mike

*I can't believe Intel is actually calling them Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo
processors ( http://www.intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/ ).  And,
why isn't that (TM) after the word Duo?  I'm pretty sure that the word
Core is *not* owned by Intel.  They can have the phrase "Core Duo"
(short for "Core Dubious", I think--or, perhaps, "Core Du-over" because
they need a mulligan after dropping the ball on NetBust), but there's no
way I'm recognizing any trademark they may claim to have on the word
Core...  Besides, I thought it was Microsoft that took
industry-recognized generic terms for technologies and trademarked them
(i.e. Windows), and Intel just tries (and fails) to trademark numbers
("586") and letters ("i").