[mythtv-users] Backend Non-responsive

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Mon Jan 23 05:59:16 UTC 2006

For the second time in a week, my backend has become non-responsive.
There are no errors in the backend log and it's only the backend
process that becomes non-responsive.  I noticed the issue when trying
to list my recordings from the frontend (same physical machine).  When
I selected 'Watch Recordings' the frontend just hung.  I login to the
machine and restart the backend and everything is fine (the frontend
then responds).  When this happens I've noticed the following:

* Whatever was recording stopped recording (partial recording available
to watch)
* Commflag jobs ceased
* Future recordings did not start
* The frontend would hang on any menu selection requiring communication
with the backend
* Running 'mythbackend --printsched' also hung (DB connection appeared
to happen then nothing)
* Restarting the backend process cured everything (except for the
evening's recordings that were missed)

I'm running KnoppMyth R5A30 (0.18.1.20050523-1) and the BE/FE are on
the same machine.

Help appreciated,

Derek