[mythtv-users] scratchy DVDs

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:01:24 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Simon Lundell <simon.lundell at his.se> wrote:
> I am using Xine to play DVDs on my frontend. When my BENQ dvd-reader
> gave up after many years in service i changed it for an nec 2510. It
> seems that this new dvd-reader is more picky on scratchy DVDs (xine
> hangs/exits, WAF drops). Do you have any recommendations on what to do
> to view dvds that are a little scratchy?

Research DVD drives. Typically, NEC drives are not so great at reading
but good for writing (at least that is the review on the NEC 3540 I
have). This thread about an unrelated issue happens to mention that
the 2510 isn't so great at reading either:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106114

That forum is an excellent resource to research drives. Perhaps
someone has a list of best readers based on actual tests? Some more
threads:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106695
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=106062
http://tinyurl.com/9y7bf