[mythtv-users] Trouble installing lirc on FC4 (lirc-kmdl-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 16 21:32:18 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:

>On 15/01/06, Tommy Nijem <tnijem at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello I am using Jarod Wilson's Myth install guide for FC4.
>>Everything works OK except for lirc. I believe the problem is that there is
>>not a packge for lirc built for my kernel version. I am somewhat new to
>>linux(long time computer user...just not Linux). So I may be off base.
>>Anyways, when I try "# yum install lirc-kmdl-$KVER" I see "no match for
>>argument lirc-kmdl-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4".
>>I did a lot of googling and searching but could not find the answer. I also
>>tried installing lirc 0.7.2 from lirc.org but when I tried to compile I
>>received an error that my kernel sources were missing.
>>I am a bit over my head here and looking for some knowledgeable advice.
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

>When using Jarod's FC guides, it pays dividends to ensure you are
>running a kernel version that matches the version Axel builds his
>kernel modules for (especially when you are using multiple modules
>like lirc, ivtv etc). You could install the newer kernel:
>
>yum install kernel kernel-devel
>
>The -656 version of the kernel was released on 6 Jan 2006, so chances
>are you installed the system before this and got the prior kernel
>installed.
>
>Older versions (<=0.7.2) of lirc may not build properly on newer
>2.6.14 kernels, so if going the compilation route, use a newer version
>(I installed lirc-0.8.0pre4 yesterday with no trouble on a
>2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 system.)

What you may not understand here is that you may be missing the *kernel*
sources for your setup. It is not particularly made clear in Jarod's
guide that you need 'kernel-dvel' for the sources, and that yum update
or smart upgrade will upgrade the kernel *and the sources* if you have
already installed a prior source version, but not if you have not done so.

Over the weekend a rebuild of my mythbox (with not much beyond the
required bits) needed 591Meg to upgrade everything from kernel 2.6.11 to
2.6.14-1.1656. A major chunk of that is the kernel sources and xorg sources.

If you upgrade, you will then end up with a couple of kernel versions
listed in grub, to choose when booting, and a couple of versions in
/usr/src/kernels (for Fedora 4). And Nick is absolutely right, that
having a kernel version that all of the programs are built for really
helps. And use smart if it will install.. It *is* better at dependencies..

Geoff