[mythtv-users] Controlling multiple GI-2200 cable boxes via lirc

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 02:37:46 UTC 2006

On 15/01/06, obscure information. <obscure411 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a myth system I've been running successfully for a few days now
> with a single PVR-150 capture card in it, and I'm looking to install a
> PVR-500 alongside it so that I can record 2 shows and still watch live tv.
> Currently I'm using an IR blaster from www.irblaster.info and their
> configuration instructions for using an external cable box, which
> coincidentally uses the same programming as my GI-2200.
>
> I'm wondering what my best option is for controlling 3 GI-2200 boxes with
> one or two IR blasters?  I've noticed that on the irblaster.info site that
> he has a 4-LED IR blaster on one serial wire available as well as a 2-LED
> blaster.  Does anyone have any experience trying to control multiple 2200's
> (or equivalent) with one serial cable?  I've seen reference on a few sites
> re: satellite boxes that can do this if they are programmed to receive
> alternate IR commands, but I doubt that will work on my older cable boxes...

I'm not sure how you could driver multiple cable boxes using a single
instance of LIRC and a single serial port if the boxes all use the
same remote control codes. The two ways of achieving your goal that I
can think of are:

i) determine whether your cable boxes can use different control codes
as you mention. If they do you could use a single transmitter to
control them all as each code should be box specific
ii) install a PCI serial card for additional serial port and run
multiple lirc instances for each of the boxes. This way each box gets
a dedicated transmitter which alleviates the problems of the boxes all
using the same remote codes.
iii) I'm not sure if the Hauappauge blaster you may have got with your
PVR-150/500 card is supported in LIRC - if it is and you have an
additional serial port, you may be able to use the 3 blasters in this
configuration 2PVR/1serial).

Nick