[mythtv-users] XvMC, GF6200, FC4, and a black screen....

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Jan 15 14:43:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 03:23 -0700, Blammo wrote:
> Any secrets to getting a 6200 happy with XvMC under FC4? Pulled out a
> working-for-more-than-a-year-GF5200 from a frontend, replaced it with
> a 6200.

Unfortunately the GeForce 6xxx & 7xxx cards don't provide very good
XVideo support. I have a GeForce 6200 sitting in my box of forgotten
electronics for this reason. I believe they want us to write OpenGL
shader programs for doing video decompression, color conversion and
scaling. No one has volunteered to write such a beast for MythTV yet.

My 6200 was supposed to upgrade a 5200 so I could drive a new monitor,
but I ended up upgrading to an old 5800 instead, it works much better
with video than the 6200 and it can drive my new DVI monitor too.

-- Daniel