[mythtv-users] Live TV recording as if it was a scheduled recording

BP lists at qucae.com
Sun Jan 15 00:14:27 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> This always makes me ask...why?  With your auto-expiration options set
> (unless you never expire anything), Myth will perfectly manage your
> space to make sure it removes old shows to make room for new.  LiveTV
> will be expired before anything else so it is irrelevant when
> calculating "space" as it will be automatically removed when needed.
> I'd spend a little more time configuring your expiration rules to match
> your viewing behavior and a little less time worrying about the physical
> disk space because the system is designed to manage that for you.
>
> Kevin

I keep asking why you can not understand that some people prefer to
manage their own disk space.  I do not want a computer to ever decide to
automatically delete something.  If I have it recorded and saved, it is
because I want to watch it.

The way I see it is that new shows are more likely to have upcoming
repeats than older, syndicated reruns.  If I miss a new episode due to
space issues, I won't have to wait long.  If something I have saved gets
deleted, it could be a year or more before it is recorded again.
However, I do like to know exactly how much free space remains so that I
can manage whether or not a recording will be missed due to space.

Someone did post the sql commands to mark all current recordings to not
expire.  I just still feel much safer knowing that autoexpire will never
run.  I do not trust a computer to only delete what it should.  Mistakes
happen when scheduling, etc.

I would have much preferred that live tv recordings be flagged as such.
  If the user pressed the record button, the flag would be removed.
There could then be a different clean up thread to remove live tv
buffers independent of autoexpire.  Perhaps as simply as when live tv is
exited and when the backend starts.

I fully understand that this is working as those that contribute code
want.  I can accept that.  I am just sick and tired of the constant
replies implying that those of us that do not like this functionality
need to get a clue.  Many of us just have different opinions and usage
preferences.