[mythtv-users] Video modes - aspect ratios

Graeme Hilton graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk
Sat Jan 14 21:13:28 UTC 2006

Adam Propeck wrote:
> On 1/13/06, *Steve Adeff* <adeffs at gmail.com <mailto:adeffs at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>     On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:35, Graeme Hilton wrote:
>     > All,
>     >
>     > This is more of a system configuration issue than a myth issue, but as
>     > we all use a variety of display hardware I thought I'd be able to
>     tap a
>     > few brains.
>     >
>     > I have a video card with a TV-Out and a VGA (a Radeon 9600XT).  It's
>     > connected to an 8" LCD panel via the VGA and to my home theatre system
>     > (Denon DHT500).  This feeds a 28" widescreen CRT through a SCART
>     socket.
>     >
>     > The 8" panel is 800x600 native resolution and that's what the
>     system is
>     > set to run at.  I ran the fglrxconfig from ATI to set up the
>     TV-Out and
>     > attached you can see the resulting xorg.conf .  X is cloning the
>     output
>     > from the VGA to the TV-Out.  I have tried the Dual Head configuration,
>     > but X refuses to start. (I can dig out some logs if anyone is
>     interested.)
>     >
>     > My problem is that when I turn on the TV it is receiving a 4:3 format
>     > signal, with black bars down the sides.  I think this is because the
>     > signal from the TV-Out is 4:3.  How can I get that to become a
>     16:9 format?
>     >
>     > Ideally I'd like 4:3 on the VGA and 16:9 on the TV.  Does anyone
>     have a
>     > similar setup?
>
>     you would need to change the resolution for the feed to the TV to a
>     16:9 feed.
>
>     so 800:450 would work and be relatively close to what you have.
>
> I'm failing to see how if you output at 800x600 and the native on the
> LC is 800x600 that it's not filling the screen correctly. Can an
> incorrect refresh rate cause this?

I think you've misunderstood.  The LC panel is 800x600 native
resolution.  Most of the TV I watch is broadcast in 16:9 format.  This
gets displayed slightly squashed in the 4:3 format, to completely fill
the LC panel screen, no black bars at the top and bottom.

My TV is 16:9 format, but always defaults to 4:3 as that is the signal
that is output by the video card, giving big black bars at the left and
right with a squashed picture in the middle.  I want the videocard to
output 16:9 on the TV-Out and 4:3 on the VGA.

Thanks to Steve for the suggestion on the 800x450, but I don't know how
to get X to do this.  I've added "Modes 800x450 800x600" to the Screen
Section (Subsection "Display"), but this doesn't seem to do anything.  X
still starts in 800x600 and only this is listed in the KDE Display
Manager tool.

Ati's fglrxconfig script doesn't list 800x450 to allow me to get it to
build the xorg.conf file automatically.

I'm off to do some more googling on this type of problem...

- --
Graeme Hilton