[mythtv-users] SVN mythtranscode

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jan 12 11:07:41 UTC 2006

>> Haven't seen anyone reply to this yet so I will.  Notice he said
>> 'lossless'.
>> The MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding in SVN is for cutting only, it does not
>> re-encode the frames (except around the cutpoints I believe).  So, the
>> space savings from using it are because you get to cut out those 20
>> minutes
>> of commercials out of every hour of show and if you're using TS files,
>> you may save space since the output format is PS.
>
> Thanks Chris. What prompted me to think that lossy might be an option
> in SVN was that he said "...using the -m switch (which should turn ON
> lossless) creates a file the same size as without it". That implies
> that if you don't use the -m switch you get a _lossy_ conversion which
> is what I actually want! If there is no lossy trancoding, why is there
> a -m flag to specify lossless if that's all it does anyway?

Thanks Phil - thats the question I was really asking!! - not to mention
how to make the choice from the GUI with an existing recording, something
I now know can't be done at present. The difference in files sizes I was
looking for was in the OUTPUT files as I expected that without the -m
switch I'd get a smaller file (mpeg4) than WITH the -m switch.

Sounds like a feature request to me "Please can we have an option in the
Previously Recorded menus to select what type of transcoding to do on the
currently selected recording..."

--
Robin Gilks