[mythtv-users] Software RAID problems - the unspoken mythtv problem?

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 9 08:30:50 UTC 2006

Fedor Pikus wrote:

> Or just use JFS instead of XFS.
>
> My greatest fear with the hardware raid is what would happen to it if
> something failes in the system itself. If my PC with softRAID dies, I
> can connect the disks to any Linux PC and it will recognize the RAID.
> At least as long as the distribution is similar enough, although I
> once moved a RAID from FC1 with 2.4 kernel to Knoppix with 2.6 kernel
> and it was detected with no problems. If that hardware controller
> goes, what would you need to get your RAID back? Identical controller
> will work, sure. Will the latest controller work, say, after 2 years?
> And if it does not, what can you do?

It's a valid fear.  We use lots of hardware raid at work, mostly on
Windows and Netware servers. Firmware versions alone make it less than a
sure bet.  Unless BIOS, Raid controller firmware, and scsi disk firmware
are just right, chances are it'll spit the dummy and refuse to accept
the disks.

Then, try and buy the same version Raid controller card in 2 year's
time?  Even if you manage it, it won't have the same firmware and can't
be backdated to the old firmware (voids warranty etc).  So, have to
upgrade all the old servers?  Not practical.  I am not turning off a
stable server that's been running for 3 years to muck with updating it's
RAID controller and BIOS and disk drives etc etc.

Bah!!  Bad idea....