[mythtv-users] Still Can't Get pcHDTV-3000 Installed

Brett Jones ivtv-myth at brettjones.com
Mon Jan 9 00:10:01 UTC 2006

R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:

>You need:
>
>alias char-major 81 videodev
>alias char-major 81-0 ivtv
>alias char-major 81-1 ivtv   #for the second pvr250 card
>#alias tveeprom tveeprom_ivtv
>alias msp3400 msp3400_ivtv  etc  (from memory)
>
>(The cards will show up at /dev/video0 and /dev/video1)
>

>The HD3000 card uses the cx88-dvb module. From about the 2.6.13 kernel,
>the module has been available as a kernel level module. That is, it is
>supplied with the kernel source and the kernel is compiled to make use of
>it (either compiled in, or as a loadable module). To use the kernel
>module, you need to re-compile your kernel to use the video for linux
>modules. (But see below)
>
>Both modules/drivers use a sub-module called tveeprom. These used to be
>quite different and completely incompatible. From about October of this
>year (and ivtv .40 or so) there has been an effective merger. The ivtv
>modules will happliy use the kernel version tveeprom so that the
>modprobe.conf line alias tveeprom tveeprom_ivtv can be commented out. This
>makes the ivtv driver use the kernel version tveeprom. Then both hardware
>cards use the same base module. You get errors if it is the other way
>round. If necessary, the ivtv driver can be explicitly told to use the
>tveeprom_ivtv driver.
>
>If you just have a PVR card, then use the ivtv drivers AND leave in the
>alias line, so that the ivtv driver looks to the tveeprom_ivtv module. You
>may not have a tveeprom module otherwise presuming you have not recompiled
>the kernel. Note, the you may not actually need to recompile the kernel to
>get the kernel version module: if you do a yum update or equivalent which
>[snip]
>If it is included with the kernel, then the kernel version cx88-dvb module
>will be loaded on boot. The process appears not to need any modprobe.conf
>entry, but it does need to be told which driver to use so you can get ntsc
>(the cx8800 driver) or atsc/qam (the cx88-dvb driver)

I just migrated to fedroa core 4 from mandrake, and I'm a little
confused.  I have a PVR-250 and a HD3000.  Booting up, it does seem to
find the cx8800 drivers, but like you mentioned, it doesn't load the
cx88-dvb driver.  My questions are:

1) How do I tell it to load the cx88-dvb driver at boot?
2) Do I still need to mess with the tveeprom conflicts you described if
I'm using FC4?

Right now my modprobe.conf has these three lines, the second two
commented out (per your instructions I believe):

alias char-major-81 ivtv
#alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
#alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

What should I add to get both card working at boot?

Thanks for the help!

Brett