[mythtv-users] X.org modeline for Samsung HLR5067W?

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Sun Jan 8 05:44:14 UTC 2006

>I've done a bit of searching, but can't seem to find a definitive
>answer to the question, "what is the correct xorg modeline to use
>for the Samsung HLR5067W HDTV?"
>
>This is about the best I've found thus far:
>
>Modeline "1280x720" 79.159 1280 1424 1552 1760 720 723 730 750
>
>But it's still overscanned along the bottom edge, a bit too short
>and a bit too narrow (actually, it's probably the perfect height,
>but the TV adjustments won't let me move the picture up any more, so
>there's black along the top and it's cutoff on the bottom).
>
>I'm under the assumption that this modeline should also work for the
>whole HLRxx67W series of Samsung HDTVs (which includes HLR4667W,
>HLR5067W, HLR5667W, HLR6167W).

I have the HL-R6167W.  I tried forever to to find a good modeline, but never did.
I was also using the DVI jack.  Picture was pretty good using this modeline:

Modeline "1280x720" 74.500 1280 1344 1472 1664 720 723 728 748 -hsync +vsync

but there was a slight moire effect and I didn't like the overscan, there was too
much.  Finally I learned that I didn't need a modeline and Xorg would determine
the settings on its own using the PC Input. Now, the picture is perfect, with only
a slight overscan, maybe 5-15 pixels in each direction.  When watching TV,  a little
overscan is _good_, since most broadcasts have a crappy edge because overscan
is expected on regular TV's. Just have the MythFrontend GUI in a window, adjust
to match your screen area, and play video back full screen. Works perfect for me.