[mythtv-users] Do I need a new DVI cable for 1080p?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 16:56:17 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 11:19, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> The picture looks fantastic, but having never owned a HDTV before I don't
> know if I'm missing out on something. Two things:
>
> 1) When there's movement of the entire picture (if, say, the camera
>    pans or zooms, as opposed to a person walking across a static room)
>    when playing a HD recording, sometimes I'll see the top 1/6 of the
>    screen slightly out of phrase with the remainder; it changes
>    slightly ahead or behind the rest. Otherwise, the picture is
>    entirely consistent. Is this simply a function of the computer not
>    being able to quite keep up with the work of displaying the
>    movement? I do have Myth deinterlacing with the kernel codec
>    without XvMC, have OpenGL XV sync on on both nvidia-settings and
>    Myth, and am using Jarod Wilson's modeline for this specific panel.

very well could be speed, did you notice this on your previous HD screen?

It may also be your tv trying to do double duty in i->p conversion?
from what I remember people here saying, that TV accepts 1080p signals, does
your tv show that it is accepting your computers signal as progressive?

> 2) /var/log/Xorg.log tells me that the card has a single link
>    connection to the display. Should I buy a new, explicitly dual-link
>    DVI cable?  My cable's connectors have all the pins needed for dual
>    link, but I don't know if that's the only factor involved in
>    whether a cable is dual-link compliant or not.

dual link only requires the extra connectors on the cable to carry a signal,
yours might have the pins but no wires from one end to the other.

Whether it matters I'm not sure. Your TV would definitely have to support dual
link, which it should, and the video card would as well, which I'm not sure
of. If they do, in theory the picture quality will be better as more data can
be sent... I have no experience in practice with this though, but at the
price ramelectronics.net and some of the other quality online cable stores
have DVI-D dual link cables for, it might just be worth buying one, testing
and returning if the results aren't worth the price you paid.

--
Steve