[mythtv-users] New ATI Tuner that supports Cablecard

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Thu Jan 5 15:17:39 UTC 2006

Lol - my sentiments exactly when I met with Cablelabs and they point
blank said they wouldn't provide me the development api's for my
www.cognation.net/cablecard3 <http://www.cognation.net/cablecard3>
project.

Basically even things like serial ports they wanted nailed down forget
about linux as an OS.

My answer to them was fine, F#&* yourselves and I'll build something in
a few years time once we no longer use cable as the medium. Since then
I've been working with Akimbo and a few other similar companies to
encourage this ip delivered video and once Cablelabs are nothing but an
historic memory I'll try again.

Cheers,

Dean

> This looks very sweet and hopefully won't be too difficult for some
decent
> developers to get working with Linux and Myth. (However, I suspect
there
> will be some nasty DRM somewhere)
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2662

you won't be able to license use of cablecards without "proven" DRM
which is
why only Vista will support it (cause MS paid enough money to convince
them
Vista has solid DRM support).

--
Steve