[mythtv-users] Fedora - any new versions in the pipeline?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Jan 4 05:32:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:05 -0800, Ross Campbell wrote:
> But... a newer OS distribution really has nothing to do with how well
> mythtv works.
>
> There certainly are disadvantages to running a "too new" distribution
> with "too new" packages that don't quite work properly with mythtv (or
> none at all ;)
>
> Likewise, there are a number of advantages to running an older, well
> debugged and supported distribution with a large population of content
> users.
>
> If you want to use Fedora and MythTV, I'd recommend FC4 and Jarod's guide.

Agreed.  I've been bitten by this one, migrating my quite-stable FC1 x86
myth box over to FC3 x86_64 a couple of years back.  Over time it worked
out well, as Isaac is now running x86_64 so that works out quite nicely.
And the prerequisite packages to support FC3 and, subsequently, FC4,
have been released and field-tested.  But back then...

Living on the bleeding edge can cause... well... bleeding... my advice
would be the same as that from Ross.  FC4 and Jarod's guide is the
current sweet spot for a working, (relatively) easy-to-build config.

	-I