[mythtv-users] PVR-350 & PVR-500 Picture Quality

Luud Heck luud.heck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 16:59:28 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Hogan Gilligan <icnothing841 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was looking at either the PVR-350 or the PVR-500 for my new Myth-Box.  I
> see both have hardware encoders but the PVR-350 also has a hardware decorder
> while the PVR-500 has two tuners.  Does the hardware decoder on the PVR-350
> have any affect on the picture quality?  Or is the only benefit of the
> PVR-350 is that less CPU power will be needed?

Hi Hogan,

I have both of these cards in my system, which is a Celeron 700MHz.
This CPU isn't very powerfull, but because the TV cards do all the
encoding and decoding I can record 3 shows at the same time as well as
playing back a recording (or record two shows and watch liveTV).

As far as picture quality goes. The PVR350's TV out is very good. I
don't think that is due to the decoder but to how the TV Out is
implemented on the card. The PVR350 does generate some heat, something
possibly to consider when building the box. The PVR500 is much cooler.

Good luck!
Luud