[mythtv-users] Optimising a diskless frontend

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Tue Feb 28 12:28:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:18 +0000, James Fidell wrote:
> Simon Tennant wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:46:21PM -0500, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> >>Another thing to consider is your choice of NIC card... newer NICs have
> >>checksum and/or segmentation offloading, which can also make things a
> >>bit peppier.
> >

> > Stuck with onboard Nvidia "forcedeth" card.
>
> I've had a lot of problems with the forcedeth driver under load.  Might
> be worth trying the nvidia driver from their website?
>
> James

Agreed... seems to be irq related. forcedeth is definitely a problem.
Another one to stay away from it the RealTek r8169 cards... work great
for TCP, but they have a problem somewhere handling UDP fragment
reassembly. This really hinders NFS, and is hard to detect, since the
individual packets look correct. The only real way to notice is to watch
'nfsstat -r' for lots of retransmissions, and looking for an increasing
ReasmFails value in /proc/net/snmp.

		--Matt