[mythtv-users] Please please help me

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 27 23:38:30 UTC 2006

On 02/27/2006 06:27 PM, N.E.Whiteford wrote:
> For the love of God please someone help me with the myth problem I'm
> having. I've asked this before but the response I've got is "maybe it's
> a focus problem", someone suggested I try rat poison, this seems a
> little drastic at this point.

That was me.  I meant to try the Window Manager called "Ratpoison" (
http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/ )  Glad you didn't blindly take my
advice before getting the clarification, though.  :)

> The problem is that after changing channel once mythtvfrontend is
> unresponsive and doesn't let me change channel, tho I can still watch
> tv. The logs and console output show nothing abnormal.

Have you tried using LIRC with Myth's native LIRC support (i.e. "prog =
mythtv" ).  If you have a focus issue and the keyboard stops responding,
native LIRC will continue to function properly (and allow you to control
the app).  Note, however, that using irxevent ("prog = irxevent") may
show the same problems as your keyboard--depending on how you've
configured LIRC.

> I'd like to do some debugging, but gdb uses up all available memory and
> kills the backend when I do this. So can someone give me a few
> tips? Perhaps just tell me which classes deal with responding to
> keyboard events when changing channel and how this is switched off and
> no, then maybe I can add some couts and start debugging?

If you can get native LIRC working with Myth, verify that it still works
when your keyboard stops responding, and you'll know it's a focus
problem.  Then you can try Ratpoison (not rat poison).  If even the
native LIRC stops responding, then we /know/ it's not just a focus issue.

> Please please help I beg you my housemates will force me to install
> windows and I may have to turn to the rat poison after all.

Yeah.  I think if forced to use Windows, rat poison is a better solution
than Ratpoison--even if someone were to port the WM to Windows.

Mike