[mythtv-users] Optimising a diskless frontend

Matthew Mc Clement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 22:05:32 UTC 2006

Simon Tennant wrote:
> I currently have a Mythtv frontend and am finding it to to be rather
> sluggish when navigating menus, setting recordings etc.  Playback is
> fine and without stuttering.

I recently split the backend/frontend and found similar
problems(frontend is similar spec to yours, CPU is a 3000+ instead).

*snip*
> Should I abandon NFS all together and look at Samba instead?  Anyone
> running with a diskless samba frontend?

I just switched the recordings mount to Samba and had a marked increase
in performance. Moving around the recordings screen is much snappier now
and doesn't involve a 5-10 second pause I was getting with NFS when
changing recording groups.

However, LiveTV is completely broken now and only works at random. It
doesn't bother me much though as I rarely watch LiveTV on my Myth box,
but hopefully it's fixable by messing around with Samba's various options.

Tuning wise with NFS I tried various things(hard/soft mounts, tcp/udp,
varying r/wsize's, etc) but never could it to act in a responsive manner.

Matt