[mythtv-users] Building new MythTV system, hardware help

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon Feb 27 21:40:52 UTC 2006

On Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 03:00:46PM -0600, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:07:08PM +0000, Robin Hill wrote:
> > Fortunately the 3ware cards work perfectly well in 32-bit PCI
> > slots (though obviously at a lower speed).  As you say, 64-bit PCI
> > is rather expensive to get hold of :(
>
> Just for clarification: you're using the 64-bit 3ware PCI cards in
> "affordable" 32-bit PCI slots, right?

Yes, I'm using it in a standard ASUS desktop motheroard.

> Is this something you can do, in general, with all 64-bit PCI cards?
> Or is this an extra feature of the 3ware cards?

I'm not entirely sure - the compatability list for the 3ware 9550
doesn't mention any 32-bit PCI motherboards at all, but the 9500 one
does.  Most (if not all) of the RAID controllers I've dealt with at work
will do 64-bit or 32-bit.  It may be that with PCI-X and PCI-e coming in
on most server boards, they're dropping backward compatability now - I
can't find any definitive guide that says they're compatible, and the
slot shapes would suggest that they might not be.

> Finally, is this a *supported* feature of the 3ware cards?

It's certainly a supported feature of the 9500 series and below - you
can check their compatability list.  If you're after the 9550 then I'd
drop them (or their local supplier) a mail about it - I got a very quick
response back when I enquired about their battery backup units a while
back.

HTH,
        Robin
--