[mythtv-users] Radeon 9600 Component to CRT TV [SOLVED]

Henry Fleischmann henry at fishcasa.com
Mon Feb 27 17:58:52 UTC 2006

Raphael Pooser wrote:

> Henry Fleischmann wrote:
>
>>> Not sure if I'm the only one on this list still using a tube TV but
>>> maybe someone remembers how to do this from the old days ;)
>>>
>>> I recently put a Gigabyte Radeon9600Pro with the ATI DVI-to-component
>>> adapter into my frontend and I'm having problems getting the display
>>> settings right. Previously I was using s-video in and it worked fine.
>>>
>>> The mythtv menu comes up fine and looks great, but when I watch TV or
>>> play a video, it's like the picture is zoomed in 5-10 times too much.
>>> I've tried changing the resolution from 800x600 to 640x480 and finally
>>> 352x240. 352x240 looks the best but it is still zoomed 4-5 times too
>>> much. Changing resolution to 176x120 did not shrink the picture any
further.

>>> I'm using Version 8.21.7 of the ATI proprietary drivers and X.org
>>> 6.8.2.0 on gentoo 2.6.15-r1. Mythtv is is 18.1.
>>>
>>> snip

>> Solved problem by reverting back to version 8.18.8 of the ATI drivers.
>>

> Henry,
> So, you're using the DVI to component output adaptor, with regular tube
TV with Standard Definition (640x480i native TV)?
> Using this method allows you to specify modelines and adjust resolution
and overscan on the TV?
> I'm asking these questions, because as you probably know, regular TV out
(Svideo) from an ATI graphics card results in the inability to adjust
overscan or move the image around onscreen or pretty much do anything to
your picture in any way whatsoever.  What you see the first time you
turn on your box is what you get for ever... until ATI fixes their
drivers (hahahahaha, funny).
> So, Can you confirm for me real quick, if the DVI to component device
works and you can specify your own modelines?  The reason I'm being so
redundant about this is because other users have said that this thing
doesn't work in linux because ATI uses little driver tricks to
accomplish the functionality of the converter, and that the driver
support only exists in windows.  I might try and mirror your setup; I
have a sapphire 9600pro plugged into a tube TV, SD only.  I'm
downloading the 8.18.8 driver now (wow it's 60MB).
> If you don't mind responding and letting me know what kind of success
you've had adjusting over/underscan and futzing with modelines in
general I'd appreciate it.
> Raphael

I will send you my xorg.conf and Xorg.log when I get home tonight.

I did get it to accept custom modelines but it is finicky about which one
it takes. Actually, I got the latest driver to accept custom modelines
with the Xorg OpenGL overlay but I never could get it to work properly
with Xv and that's when I started trying older versions.

I don't know what the criteria are for accepting a modeline but for some
lines which otherwise look ok, it will say "no modeline of that name
found" or just ignore the modeline and load a default. Out of the 40 or so
lines I found on the web for NTSC TV, it only accepted about 6. Ultimately
I think I used one of the builtin modelines to get it working, but I'll
check for sure tonight.

Make sure ssh is working because, as you probably already know, the screen
is not usable with component unitl X gets loaded (may work with FB but I
never tried).