[mythtv-users] Optimising a diskless frontend

Simon Tennant simon at imaginator.com
Mon Feb 27 14:09:51 UTC 2006

I currently have a Mythtv frontend and am finding it to to be rather
sluggish when navigating menus, setting recordings etc.  Playback is
fine and without stuttering.

What NFS and kernel tuning parameters could I look at testing to try
and get a more snappy frontend?

The frontend also runs the backend functions like recording and is
mounted to it's storage over a 100Mbit full duplex network
with minimal other network traffic
(http://www.imaginator.com/mrtg/bunker.imaginator.com_10.7.11.1.html).
The diskless specs are as follows:
AMD Processor 3200+
1Gb memory (no swap)
2 DVB tuners
mysql runs on the storage server
and it is mounted with the following NFS options:

	rw,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,tcp

The storage server is also my general purpose file server which is
relatively untaxed (loadavg of around 0.3)

Dual 600MHz
1.5Gb RAM
running mysql with key_buffer and myisam_sort_buffer_size both set to
64M
Disk writes are spread across a RAID 5 7200rpm array.
The file systems are exported with:  rw,no_root_squash,sync,insecure

Should I abandon NFS all together and look at Samba instead?  Anyone
running with a diskless samba frontend?

S.
--
Simon Tennant ________________ http://imaginator.com/~simon/contact