[mythtv-users] DVD Rip/Transcoder questions

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Feb 27 13:39:39 UTC 2006

I finally got around to playing with ripping a DVD. I ripped a DVD but
found playing the DVD with mythvideo, using the Internal player, lacked
sound. Playing the same ripped video with vlc and the sound worked fine.
Any ideas?

Also, you can supposedly rip a dvd with lesser quality so that the
ending file size is significantly smaller. Where is that controlled? I
assume it depends on the encoding and the size? 720x480, 480x480,
(smaller?), etc? Is that what I see in mythtvsetup looking at the
TRANSCODER settings?

I want to be able to watch the ripped videos with MediaMVP so I assume
I'm limited because I have to use MPEG2.

I would love to save some space with my recordings, but since I need
them to stay MPEG2 do I have any options?

Thanks,
James