[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.19 has escape but no halt?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 27 01:05:34 UTC 2006

On 02/26/2006 04:10 PM, Zach Garner wrote:
> Well the mythwelcome looked like a perfect solution. It worked fine
> through the ssh session I'd been working from but when I logged directly
> into mythfrontend via mythwelcome on the PC the frontend worked as
> expected but mythwelcome wouldn't recognise any keystrokes. To get around
> that I bootstrapped the system with blackbox, which took care of the
> keyboard issues, but now shutdown simply freezes mythwelcome.

> FTR the .xinitrc file I've used to get it working is (alsactl to get my
> alsa setting back up):
>
> /sbin/alsactl restore &
> xset -dpms s off
> xsetroot -solid black
> mythwelcome &
> exec blackbox
I highly recommend you start your window manager before any X client
applications.  Doing so will help with focus and layout issues (and may
have prevented your needing to install blackbox), but regardless of
whether you switch back to your old WM, you should probably update the
.xinitrc to something like:

/sbin/alsactl restore &
xset -dpms s off
xsetroot -solid black
# Start the window manager
# Don't use exec or you'll never execute mythwelcome
blackbox & wmpid=$!
mythwelcome
# Wait for the window manager to exit
#wait $wmpid

(Uncomment the "wait $wmpid" line if you want X to continue running
after your mythwelcome exits.  Otherwise, when mythwelcome exits, X will
exit.)

Mike