[mythtv-users] New Script: Myth Recording Extender

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Sun Feb 26 21:17:07 UTC 2006

In case anyone else may be interested, I've written a PHP5 script that
monitors certain in-progress recordings and will automatically extend,
or optionally shorten, the length of the recording based on what the
monitor detects.  The motivation behind this is live sports recordings.
  A monitor will scan a source for the status of the game and if the
monitor detects the game is still in progress, but the recording is
about to end it will extend the recording until it wakes up and checks
again.  This process continues until the monitor detects the game is
over.  Optionally, you can also have the script end a recording early
if it detects the game ended early in order to free up your tuner for
other recordings.

Currently, only NBA basketball and NHL hockey are supported with plans
to add Major League Baseball support before the season starts.

My testing has been relatively successful with the only glitch so far
being ESPN.com not updating the final score of the Raptors game
yesterday for an hour and a half so on top of the overtime I also got
an extra 1h30m beyond the game on my recording.  The NHL support was
working fine, but I only got to test a couple of games before the
Olympic break.

PHP5 with PEAR DB and MySQL support required to run.  PLEASE read the
readme file in its entirety before running.  If you do download and try
it out, please send some feedback (bugs, successes, failures).

Download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtv-tools/

  - Derek