[mythtv-users] Is there a way to extend recordings started with live recording.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 26 14:07:16 UTC 2006

On 02/26/2006 03:44 AM, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Is there a way to extend recordings started with live recording
> (pressing 'R' while watching the event).  It appears to only do 30min
> slices.

It only does a "timed" recording if you don't have guide data.  However,
if this is the case, you should do a manual record.  You can probably
extend the recording, but I don't know how exactly it's done without
guide data and normal recording rules.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/156994#156994 for
a description of how to use the "timed" recording and why you shouldn't
use it (but note that the features discussed were pre-0.19 SVN, so they
exist in 0.19)

> The channel is via an external STB so there is no program guide as such.
> Its a 3hr sports event and its looking like I will have to manually
> restart the recording every 30 mins.  Ive tried doing a manual record,
> but it starts then exits immediately - is 3 hrs too long for a manual
> recording?

Nope--assuming you have the drive space.  What errors do you get in the
backend log?

>   Idealy I could make it record 'forever' until I manually
> terminate it.

No support for this.  Myth was written to be used as an "intelligent"
scheduler with program listings.  Support for use without guide data is
minimal.

Mike