[mythtv-users] IR keyboard / remote problems

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Feb 26 04:31:37 UTC 2006

Shanon Mulley <shanonmulleyster at gmail.com> says:
> For the remote for my mythtv system, I decided on buying an IR
> keyboard, then training a programmable remote control from the IR
> keyboard.

I have an ACK-581 IR keyboard and have done the same thing with a
programmable remote.

> Now this works fine,

Better than fine, I've argued; no dealing with LIRC at
all. Transparency between the keyboard and remote setups is definitely
a virtue.

But . . .

> except for one minor point. Sometimes it gets "stuck". If I'm
> scrolling up through a list of things in mythtv, and then stop
> scrolling (with the remote), mythtv sometimes keeps scrolling
> through the list, until I do something else with the remote.

This is because keyboards send out two codes; one when the key is
depressed, and the other when the key is released. In our setups, keys
"stick" when the computer has seen the first code but not the second
for some reason.

> It is kind of annoying having to to press "up up up up up up" when I
> want to scroll through something, rather then just leaving my thumb on
> "up".

I'm surprised you ever got that working in the first place. On my
setup keys from the keyboard do indeed repeat as per the default, but
my remote doesn't work that way; it sends the codes for the programmed
key once and that's it. So I, too, have to "up up up" when I want to
go way up.

> Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Fortunately, in most contexts, Page Up and Page Down (which I've
programmed the Channel Up and Down buttons as) serves as a nice
substitute. About the only time I have to go "up up up" is the volume,
and that's not a big deal.