[mythtv-users] Trouble with SPDIF output

Scott Minneman sminneman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 04:04:05 UTC 2006

Count me amongst the multitude of those who have been stumped getting
spdif to work.  I'm using an nforce4 board with onboard spdif in/out,
and I used the .asoundrc file from the wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound).  I
figured this would work, since the .asoundrc in the wiki is for a
spdif at hw:0,2, and my aplay -l returns:

[mythtv at mythhd ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia
CK804 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Analog output works fine.  Digital does not work at all.  But the
strange thing is, my receiver seems like it's trying to latch onto a
signal, but for some reason cannot.  When I play a file through
mplayer (-ao alsa:device=mixed-digital), the receiver keeps trying to
switch to the digital signal, but fails.  The receiver's digital input
works just fine from the cable box, so I know that's not the problem.

Also, I can't seem to find any log file or program output that tells
me what's wrong with the digital device.  Everything acts like it's
working just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?  I've been fighting this thing all day!

-Scott