[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Anthony Floyd anthonyfloyd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:30:59 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, James Minihane <j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:
> Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
> seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
> invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
> Here's the question...
> How many of you actually use MythTV to...
> Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
> view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?

LiveTV?  What's that?  My wife and I .... well, I hate to use the word
"never", but .... we never watch LiveTV anymore.  Why would we?
Nothing is so urgent that I want to watch it *RIGHT NOW*.  I record
the suppertime news hour and watch it later ... at my own time, pace,
and without watching those gawd-awful commericals.  All the shows we
want to watch are setup to record.  If we plunk ourselves down in
front of the tube, there's always something in "Watch Recordings" that
we haven't seen, and usually enough variety to suit any mood.

Watch DVDs ... check.

Schedule recordings ... well, all the time!  And, with MythWeb, from
where ever we are, even if that means in different hemispheres!

Listen to music ... all the time!  Our 80 GB music collection shares a
home with the Myth box.  The CDs have disappeared from the living room
entirely (well, almost).

Reboots?  Well, the last reboot was when 0.19 came out, and that
wasn't due to the MythTV update, but rather because I had updated gcc
from 3.3 to 3.4, and almost everything had to be recompiled (yes, I
run Gentoo), including the kernel (which I updated too).  In fact,
once the system was fully updated, doing the 0.19 update was extremely
anti-climatic.

So, I guess this is just a "me too".  But, I've been running this Myth
box for over 2 years.  It started life as a 0.14.  I'm running a
pretty standard config of a -250 and a -350 (two tuners is a minimum!)
and as of 0.19 it's rock solid (I had some issues with 0.18 and the
front-end crashing sometimes when exiting watching recordings, but
that disappeared with the upgrade to ivtv-0.4.2 and myth-0.19).

Can you imagine if everyone emailed the list and said "Oh hi!  Just
thought I'd drop a note ... everything's working fine!"  Well, ok,
*this* thread is turning into that but ... all the time?

Cheers,
Anthony.