[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Adam Bodnar ambodnar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:54:21 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, James Minihane <j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:
> Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
> seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
> invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
> Here's the question...
> How many of you actually use MythTV to...
> Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
> view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?
>
> J. Minihane

MythTV is definitely the right choice for me. I like the flexibility
and the power features that it offers.

I'm not using it for DVDs as I have a dedicated player and my box
doesn't have a dvd drive. Images I just haven't gotten to yet.

But everything else works great. Name one other PVR device that I
could schedule shows thru lynx when I'm ssh'd to the machine.

I've been using MythTV now for about 9 months and have had a pretty
easy setup and very few problems. Only real occurring one is the
frontend crashing once in awhile and I'm sure that has been fixed, but
I'm still running .18-1.

One of the things that I think has helped make my setup easier was
keeping it as standard as possible. IE, using Hauppauge 250's, GeForce
5200 and just displaying standard definition tv, and following Jarod's
fedora howto. It may have cost me a little more than others and not
offer the bestest picture(though I am lacking an HDTV), it works
extremely well for recording the shows I enjoy and not dealing with
commercials or vcrs.

My only reboots have been either thru updating certain packages or
adding some feature like a ups or testing something that I wanted to
happen on boot.

About the only comparable system would be Tivo and I know some people
that have had their fair share issues with it as well.

What it comes down to IMO is what you make of it.