[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Fri Feb 24 16:57:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, February 24, 2006 16:47, Jonathan Tidmore wrote:
> Using the amount of traffic on a support email list is hardly the way to
> gauge if a product is faulty or not.
Actually, it's a pretty good way to tell whether there are any
'fundamental' flaws.

Most of the problems on here seem to relate to specific issues that don't
affect everyone - which implies that the core of the product is pretty
good.

The change in method of doing live TV has caused some people issues - but
any fundamental change like that will have some problems.

There are some issues with XvMC - but again, these affect a definite
subset (not everyone) and is an issue that can be avoided quite easily for
most people (e.g. don't use it).

All in all, I'd say that this list shows that there are problems on the
periphery rather than core functionality...

If anyone does want to try out myth - knoppmyth seems a pretty simple
answer.  If you've got a machine that you don't mind losing some disk
space on, then you can have that installed & running (when I last tried it
anyway) in about 20 minutes - includig capturing TV.  That should give you
a good idea as to whether you'll like and/or whether it's going to work
for you.

If you're not happy to do that sort of testing, then I'd suggest something
like Windows MCE is probably a better answer for you.