[mythtv-users] mythbackend loses mysql connection

Shawn Kwang skwang at hep.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 24 15:50:49 UTC 2006

My question is: what settings in my /etc/mysql/my.cnf can be changed so
that mythbackend does not lose its connection to the sql daemon?

    In mysqld there are some configuration variables such as:
connect_timeout, interactive_timeout and wait_timeout.  What should these
be set in order that mythbackend does not lose the database?
In my current /etc/mysql/my.cnf I only have one instance of "timeout" in
[mysqld]:
innodb_lock_wait_timeout        = 50
I have another option in [mysqlhotcopy], I don't know if this matters:
interactive-timeout

This is a follow up to this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/164194#164194

    I installed mythtv-0.19 and mysql-5.0.18 on an amd64 machine (gentoo
distribution).  Mythbackend will work for about 2-3 days then I will get
errors like this one:

2006-02-24 08:36:34.081 DB Error (AddNotListed):
Query was:
SELECT record.recordid, record.type, record.chanid, record.starttime,
record.startdate, record.endtime, record.enddate, record.startoffset,
record.endoffset, record.title, record.subtitle, record.description,
channel.channum, channel.callsign, channel.name FROM record  INNER JOIN
channel ON (channel.chanid = record.chanid)  LEFT JOIN recordmatch on
record.recordid = recordmatch.recordid WHERE (type = 1 OR type = 7) AND
recordmatch.chanid IS NULL
Driver error was [2/2006]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
MySQL server has gone away

    Some more details: Neither mythbackend or mysqld crash, it's just that
the backend has lost its connection to the sql server.  Like the thread
above mentions, this problem seems to occur when recordings start.
Strangely enough some mythbackend functionality still works.  For instance
I can see program listings, my recording schedule, and watched recordings.
What does *not* work are "Upcoming Recordings," and the fact that no new
programs are recorded.  By restarted mythbackend, not mysqld, I can
reconnect to the database and things will run fine for about 2-3 days
before this happens again.

    This may be a red herring but I upgraded from mythtv-0.18.1, i.e.
this was not a "fresh" install.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Shawn Kwang

--
						skwang_at-fnal.gov