[mythtv-users] 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause

Ray Lischner linux at tempest-sw.com
Fri Feb 24 15:23:27 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 04:06 pm, Steve Malenfant wrote:

> What's the speed of you CPU?
> If you start mythfrontend from a console, do you get "NVP:
> Prebuffering pause" ?

My wife has an Athlon XP 1800. I have an almost identical machine with
an Athlon XP 3000. Both use XvMC and an FX 5200. My wife has never
complained about pauses, so I have not investigated.

I do not observe any unexplained pauses on my machine. When I run
mythfrontend from a console, I do see a few NVP: Prebuffering pause
messages, but I don't recall witnessing any actual pauses in the
playback. I see more messages of the form
VideoOutputXv Error: Child         E    was already marked as available.
(I have no idea what that means.)

Perhaps I haven't notice any pauses because lately I've spent more time
fast forwarding and skipping than actually watching. (I'm trying to
watch the Olympics, so I skip over all the cruft that NBC insists on
shoveling at us.)
--
Ray Lischner