[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors over NFS - fixed

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Fri Feb 24 09:38:56 UTC 2006

Asher wrote:

>On 2/23/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
>

>>It's a wiki.  Fix it yourself or provide the detailed explanation.
>>There is certainly nothing about this that requires both sides to be
>>fixed at full duplex.  Networking isn't a one to one arrangement.  I too
>>work in IT for a living and I can fix my servers at full duplex gigabit
>>without fixing my multitude of clients at full duplex as well.
>>
>>Kevin
>>

>Right, because your switch supports 1000FD, and is able to handle you
>forcing your connection.  I don't think Rudy was saying all the
>clients have to support FD, but the switch needs to support it.
>

>I turn autoneg off on all my devices just as force of habit, Cisco
>used to tell people not to use auto on their switches cause it often
>failed, and I've stuck with that ever since, but you have to know that
>both sides (computer and switch) are set to the same speed and duplex.

Which was because Cisco initially had a rather bad implementation of
auto-nego. That problem has been long solved though.
When using recent equipment (<= 5 year old for Cisco) disabling
auto-nego will usually create more problems than solve them.
Cisco is now adays advising to leave auto-nego on.

I remain convinced that what the OP did was hiding his true problem. And
he will likely run into problem again.

The reason forcing on Gig does not result in problems, can be found on
page 80, section 37.1.4.4 of IEEE 802.3: "Rather than disabling
Auto-Negotiation, the following behavior is suggested to improve
interoperability with other Auto-Negotiation devices. When a device is
configure for one specific mode of operation, it is recommended to
continue using Auto-Negotiation but only advertise the specifically
selected ability or abilities. " Such a recommendation in the standard
is usually followed.

This in contrast with 100Mbit operation, where forcing the interface
will disable auto-negotiation.