[mythtv-users] Sudden Comcast Motorola 6200 Firewire Problems

Todd Greene todd at jamlabs.com
Fri Feb 24 06:59:48 UTC 2006

Hi All,

After months of near-perfect firewire connectivity with a Comcast
Motorola 6200 box, the firewire connectivity has suddenly, completely
failed.  I haven't upgraded *anything* (I'm using Myth 0.18).  I'm
suspicious that this might be related to a Comcast upgrade of the
firmware in the Motorola 6200 (or, my motherboard and built-in firewire
connectivity is failing).  Now, when I plug in the firewire cable to the
myth box, I see the following in /var/log/messages:

 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-00:1023
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-01:1023
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed monotony check with 2
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed monotony check with 2
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed monotony check with 2
 kernel: ieee1394: Error in SelfID stage, resetting
 kernel: ieee1394: SelfIDs failed root check

And so on...
In fact, I've been recently experiencing system hangs on the same box,
which is likely either the result or cause of the firewire problem.
Google searches haven't turned up anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Todd