[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors over NFS - fixed

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Feb 24 02:18:13 UTC 2006

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>> Darryl Ross wrote:
>>

>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> I'm just posting this so that it'll end up in the archives in the hopes
>>> that it might help someone else.
>>>
>>> My setup is as follows:
>>> - SVN Trunk,
>>> - Fedora 4 on all machines,
>>> - Tuner-less master backend running on my file server (1.4Tb),
>>> - Slave backend with 3 Twinhan MiniTer DVB tuners,
>>> - Tuner-less combined frontend/backend.
>>>
>>> I've been struggling for about a week trying to fix a problem I've been
>>> having with getting IOBOUND errors on the tuner machine when either
>>> recording or watching livetv.
>>>
>>> After trying to chase down IRQ conflicts and all sorts of related
>>> issues, the problem turned out to simply be that the e100 card on the
>>> tuner machine was running in half-duplex mode.
>>>
>>> So, to fix it:
>>>
>>> ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
>>>
>>> I was getting IOBOUND errors within seconds of starting a recording, and
>>> a two hour recording would end up being about 18Mb. After making that
>>> change it is now up to 1.2Gb.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this will help someone!
>>>

>> I added this to a new wiki page that hopefully others can fill in with
>> more suggestions:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_Performance
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> I strongly suggest you remove this mis-information from the wiki.

It's a wiki.  Fix it yourself or provide the detailed explanation.
There is certainly nothing about this that requires both sides to be
fixed at full duplex.  Networking isn't a one to one arrangement.  I too
work in IT for a living and I can fix my servers at full duplex gigabit
without fixing my multitude of clients at full duplex as well.

Kevin