[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Firewire changing Node ID

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:35:45 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > mental note: don't move to a territory Shaw provides cable...
> >
> > as for your issue, you shouldn't have to unload the firewire modules,
> > unplugging the cable box from the firewire cable should be enough to
> > reset it. As for the node change, from what I understand its something
> > the 6412 determines, so it may not be possible to do anything about.
> > Your best bet may be to minimize the possibility of the 6412 from
> > turning off so you don't have this problem under normal conditions.
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> Here's what normally gets me going but I may not thave the order right:
> - stop mythbackend
> - unplug the firewire cable from BOTH the pc and 6412
> - plug the 6412 end
> - plug the pc end
> - plugreport to ensure it's on NodeID (this is the only one that will work)
> - run the fix_node script (plugctl commands that were suggested by you
> Steve some time ago which helped a great deal)
> - test-mpeg2 - if stuff on screen, it's a go.  If not, do the dance again
> - once all things are ok, restart mythbackend.
>
> The only time I'll unload modules is when I'm away from home and trying
> to fix things remotely but this rarely works.  It's the cable reseat
> that tends to make things right.

Next time you have to do this, try setting the box up in mythtv-setup
to broadcast (even if your script is using p2p currently). Then unplug
everything restart both the cable box and the mythtv computer. I've
been running like this for about a month now without a missed
recording where as before I had mythtv using p2p, requiring the script
to "improve" things. If your channel changes aren't working well try
using 6200ch in the contrib folder with the "new" method, this new
method has worked perfectly for me as well.

--
Steve